One of the big things on my honey-do list was to update/improve our pantry. When we moved into our house a little over a year ago the pantry had some Closetmaid wire shelves in it that just aren’t that great in a pantry. Not only do they not let things sit really well, they had trouble supporting the jars we use to store bulk grains and even smaller cans of food. We had maxed them out pretty quickly.
We did solve the problem of things tipping over with a few vinyl floor tiles that we cut to fit and put underneath everything. At least it gave things a more solid surface.
I decided that this was a project that I could handle pretty easily, but it did require the purchase of a few things. One a kinda major purchase, but it will provide years of extra work for me…..a table saw!
The first thing we did was remove everything from the pantry and tear out the old shelves. Well really the first thing was to measure it all and buy the wood, but again I’ll provide a full project “recipe” at the end.
The walls are hollow, not a stud to be found, so we had to repair the damage left from the previous shelving. I like the spackling that changes from purple to white when it is dry. Easy to know when you can move on to sanding.
After a little sanding, we used a barely dampened rag to wipe everything down. This removes the dust and will help the paint stick.
Jenny added a couple of coats a paint to the entire closet. We had some matching so this was pretty easy.
I used the newly acquired table saw to trim down the sides to fit on the walls. I ended up having to remove between 2 and 3 inches to make them fit above the baseboard and snug up against the ceiling.
We held them up to the walls and drilled through them to mark the wall. After pulling them back down we installed some hollow wall anchors that would be hidden behind the boards. After lifting the boards back into place, Jenny added the screws into the wall anchors securing the sides of the new shelving to the walls. We did run into a slight issue on the left side. The wall void was not so hollow…. there was a pretty good run of hard metal duct work. We were able to secure it to the drywall up top and use the anchors down low. Sometimes I wish I had x-ray vision for stuff like this.
We then measured the size of the shelves, we were able to get three shelves out of an 8 foot board. We cut them down, added in the shelf pins and put the shelves into place.
By adding in a couple of extra shelves, tossing in a couple of Lazy Susans, and arranging things a little better, we were able to leave the door and door rack off creating us a tad extra room.
The finished product!
Our pantry update recipe:
Things we purchased:
2 - 8' melamine boards drilled for shelf pins ($26.24 each): $52.48
3 - 8' melamine shelf boards, not drilled ($19.53 each): $58.59
3 - Packs of shelf pegs ($1.62 each): $4.86
1 - 12 pack of hollow wall anchors: $5.79
1 - 10"-40 tooth saw blade: $16.97
1 - Table saw: $129.00
Things we had on hand:
Paint and supplies
Drill & drill bits
Total Project cost before tax: $267.69 (with saw), $138.69 (without)
Tax would be dependent on your specific area. We run 7% here, so our total project ran $286.43.